2015 Campaign

Campaigning for the 2015 AZAB Race & Rolex Fastnet Race

Friday 8 June 2012

So long and thanks for all the ...

Dolphins and I have a strange relationship. Don't get me wrong - I've loved
them since I was a child - we just seem to have got off on the wrong foot.
Apart from the occasional sighting from a distance, my first real encounter
was on the Round Britain & Ireland race with Richard in 2010. We were lucky
enough to be visited by a pod of rare white-tipped dolphins in Lyme Bay -
there's even a video of it on YouTube somewhere. I filmed them for a while
and then had this inspirational thought to put on Pink Floyd's "Wish you
were here". After putting the selected track on the boat's lo-fi, I dashed
back upstairs just in time to see their flukes as they scattered into the
distance.
A couple of days ago, somewhere way off Ireland, we were similarly becalmed
and I was attending to personal matters below, when Richard cried
"dolphins!". I went above deck to see a pod of common dolphins off our
stern, gambolling up to play. Just as they reached the point where the boat
had been when I flushed the toilet, they immediately stopped and there was
this commotion in the water. We never saw them again.
I think I need to start this relationship all over.
Trev

3 comments:

  1. You're obviously forgetting the massive pod of dolphins that came through a becalmed fleet in the 2003 Fastnet. And the dolphins that surfed with us on the way back for over an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there are a couple of budding writers aboard Jangada and a naturalist! I lay in bed last night thinking of you both....the wind was blowing 40 knots plus and the roof was at risk. The noise in the trees was almost as scary as a stiff blow in the rigging! I was simultaneously jealous of you guys out at sea and content to sink into a warm, dry, still bed with a down pillow...I could go on. Cheers! (p.s.just cracking open a chilled Chablis). John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolphins are wise creatures, they won't take any cr... from anyone! I am sure you'll be forgiven, it was only natures call after all...!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive