2015 Campaign

Campaigning for the 2015 AZAB Race & Rolex Fastnet Race

Friday 8 June 2012

KPIs

Trevor has been wondering for some time why I seem to be exceeding our
targets by 10%. Well, he finally confronted me today saying that the %
performance that is being diplayed on our instruments was not consistent
with the table of targets that I have pinned on the wall.

Perhaps I should explain. We are using a fantastic routing and race
navigation software called Expedition. At its heart is a database of "polar
targets" i.e. the speed it thinks we should be doing for any given wind
speed and angle. And last season I discovered the motivating effect it had
on my crew when I displayed a % versus target on one of the instruments -
they were so focussed.

Determined to find out why, I reverted to the manual. What a "Numpty"!
Expedition defines "Target %" as performance directly upwind or downwind.
But we were sailing across the wind. It also has another definition "Polar
Boat Speed %" which we should have been using.

So now performance against target turns out to be 85%! Need to work harder
on triming those sails.

Which all goes to prove my theory that performance against target has more
to do with ones ability to negotiate a target than on delivering
performance - beware of KPIs!

Rich.

4 comments:

  1. If it floats your boat and gives you the feel good factor thats worth a lot, after all aren't target meant to be:-
    Selective, Memorable, Aspiring, Robust, Trashable?
    Sounds SMART enough to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, well!!!To the uninitiated I say keep trimming those sails!! You'll get there in the end. I am glad to see that you are both keeping the brain cells working. Your blogs are very readable and would probably expect a book to come out of all this - you could be famous. Am enjoying the tracking and don't let Captain Waddle eat all those flapjacks. Must off to watch rugby!! G:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Janey, you are very good - we can tell who is in the workforce still, all this targeting and smarting sounds like management meetings to me - my mind is on chook pens and what rugby team to follow next!!!! and I agree, just keep afloat. G:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polars... Dont mention polar bears to Sir Waddle- - he'll panic then you ll be in trouble he might start reallllly rationing...

    As for the targets - hope it hasnt thrown the Nav off to much! still your cracking along well and only wish the tracker would update every minute not every hour... Im addicted and seeking a councillor. Ill book you in for your return trip boys...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive